Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Manolo Blahnik Open To High Street Collaboration

Manolo Blahnik would like to collaborate with a high street store - providing that the project was "something exciting." The legendary footwear designer revealed that he's open to the idea of designing a lower-priced shoe collection in the future.

"If someone asked me to do high street and I really liked it, then why not?" he told us. "But it would have to be a challenge, I don't just want to do it for commerce or for business, I've never really been into money that way. But if it was something exciting and I could really collaborate with someone marvellous then yes, of course."

Blahnik has famously worked with some of the biggest names in the industry - most recently creating the catwalk shoes for Victoria Beckham´s latest New York fashion shows.

Manolo Blahnik
"She's a dream to work with. I love people who really work, and she does. She works like she's possessed," he said of Beckham. "It's really incredible and she's really exciting to work with. And it's good that she's in England now of course. Everybody should move to England!"

A firm fan of Great Britain (his home has been Bath now for many years), the Spanish-born Blahnik is an untiring advocate of our home-grown talent - and in particular, a fan of the 2013 CDFA/Vogue Designer Fashion Fund winner and fellow footwear designer,Nicholas Kirkwood.

"I like what he does very, very much and he was very kind to me - last year, I was in New York and someone came up to me and said: 'You must meet this boy, he says you are the reason he is doing shoes', and I thought, how flattering," explained Blahnik. "He has a real vision of himself. There are so many youngsters emerging that don't yet have their own personality - they're too young to be fully formed - but he's got this incredible thread of thought."

Another designer that he is an open supporter of is John Galliano. The two have been friends for many years, with Blahnik one of the few to speak out in support of him following the Dior dismissal.

"I adore John, and I think whatever he does is great," he said. "He is just brilliant. He can do whatever he wants to do now - whatever he ends up doing will be fantastic, he's always so full of creativity. Unfortunately this has been a bad period of his life and he's not been well, but he'll always come up with something extraordinary."

No comments:

Post a Comment