Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Elle Fanning On Why She Was, Is And Always Will Be The Ultimate Miu Miu Girl

Elle Fanning is arguably Miu Miu’s most Miu Miu girl. Since 2014, the actor has fronted ready-to-wear campaigns, worn bespoke and catwalk outfits to major events, was asked by Miuccia Prada to open the spring/summer 2019 show and now fronts the newest fragrance to join the family: Twist.

Putting the usual seductive visuals associated with fragrance campaigns aside, instead Fanning plays an actor seamlessly switching roles and creating puns surrounding Miu Miu in the visuals: Miu-tant, Miu-sic, the Miu-n and so on.

“In Twist there is a true story. There's a beginning to end that you follow this girl on, and things happen. It's not the ordinary sensual, pretty looking man and woman being used to lure us in,” Fanning explained to Vogue. “Normally, when you're thinking about perfume it can be just beauty shots. I'm glad that it has turned a corner and there's a real storyline and [I] get to express what the scent is, who is wearing it and who they're trying to get to wear it. So, I think it is a great thing.”

“I don't approach it too differently, but you do only have two days to film it, so you have to cram a lot in,” she explained of the differing approach to being in a feature-length film to a short fragrance video. “You're rushing around, you're changing your hair and outfits and it can end up being more spontaneous. I also had to learn a whole dance routine for it. There wasn't really a specific script that we had to stick to. It wasn't like a movie but a really amazing short film. We had these amazing sets that they built, and it was a huge production where we had sets that looked like the moon and space. I was surprised at how big it felt.”

The decision to become the face of Twist – a fun and flirty fragrance with notes of bergamot, apple blossom, cedarwood and bespoke pink amber accord available now – was entirely instinctive for Fanning, a homecoming of sorts. “My first campaign I did for Miu Miu was when I was 14. That was the first time I met Mrs Prada and since then I've become a part of the family. They have given me so many opportunities, but I had never done a major fragrance campaign for them before. It wasn’t even a question, just an automatic yes to go on another adventure together.”


Fanning’s love of Miu Miu stems from her adoration of Miuccia Prada and the world she creates. “Mrs Prada is someone who loves cinema and film and she creates very cinematic experiences. Everything she does is such an experience and is so detail orientated that it transports you to this specific place and world that she wants you to be in.”

It isn’t only Mrs Prada’s ability to conjure up an entire universe that has connected Fanning to the brand since her teen years. The clothes also link back to her own idiosyncratic style.

“I remember growing up, I would experiment with my fashion and at school I would be made fun of for it a little bit, just for being different and I still am that girl. Miu Miu is defiantly off beat and it is quirky in being feminine, but with an edge. She balances all the opposites at one time. [Mrs Prada] knows what girls want and what women want. Her shapes are just so amazing and quite actually boyish in the way that she cuts pieces like coats… but then they'll have something like a little chick on them. She keeps the fun. Mrs Prada doesn't take herself too seriously which is very important in art. Miu Miu is just the all-round perfect brand. I could wear all of it.”

Wearing fragrance is part of Elle’s daily routine. “It is definitely something that is part of my routine in the morning and then I'll probably redo and freshen up to go out at night. That's kind of how I wear it. It is so personal to you and your personality and what your preference is. I also really associate scent with memories too. It makes me nostalgic as I can remember certain scents for different times, and it take me back to that place. It is very special.”

In the future when Elle smells Twist, what memories will it invoke? “I think Miu Miu Twist will remind me of shooting the video and campaign. When I think of it, I think about wearing the really high ponytail and the dress. But who knows? Maybe one day I will be wearing Twist and something [big] will happen in my life… then I’ll remember that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment