Thursday, June 7, 2018

Edward Enninful Is Honoured With The Media Award At The CFDA Awards

Last night at the 2018 CFDA Fashion Awards in New York, British Vogue editor-in-chief Edward Enninful OBE received the Media Award in honour of Eugenia Sheppard, recognising his outstanding contribution to the industry throughout his prolific career and, most recently, since taking the helm of the publication in 2017.

Thanking Oprah Winfrey who presented the award, Enninful took to the stage inside the Brooklyn Museum to give his speech. First mentioning his mother and their shared interest in fashion, Enninful moved on to speak about his unwavering mission to make the industry a more inclusive, accepting space. He then thanked Diane von Furstenberg and everyone on the Council of Fashion Designers of America, as well as his partner filmmaker and director Alec Maxwell, and Terry and Tricia Jones, the founders of i-D magazine, where Enninful was appointed Fashion Director at just 18. Lastly, he thanked Condé Nast chairman Jonathan Newhouse and his wife, creative director, Ronnie Cooke Newhouse and everyone he has worked with, before dedicating the award to his close friend and collaborator, the late great Franca Sozzani.

"My mother loved fashion. And how proud she would be to see that I never stopped dreaming, or working, towards this moment. Growing up in West London, I never knew it was possible to achieve something like this. And I am not done.


In a world that is increasingly divided, we must remember: We are more alike than we are different. British Vogue is about being inclusive. It’s not just the colour of your skin but the diversity of perspective. That’s what drives us forward, not back. I have a bold vision of what the future can – and will – look like. Fashion has the opportunity to contribute now more than ever, to a more inclusive, diverse, and tolerant society. I want my work to advocate this change.

I want to thank Diane and CFDA, my parents, all of my family, my partner Alec Maxwell, Terry and Tricia Jones, Jonathan and Ronnie Newhouse, and all the talented people I’ve had the pleasure to work with over the years. This is for you, Franca Sozzani."

No comments:

Post a Comment