Saturday, January 6, 2018

Naomi Campbell Remembers Azzedine Alaïa

Shortly before his death on November 18 2017, Azzedine Alaïa gave Vogue his final interview, telling Tim Blanks about the world he created and his 30-year friendship with Naomi Campbell.

“I am very possessive. Naomi is very possessive, too. And jealous. Because I think that if you love someone, you must be jealous. I love the history of jealousy. If you are not jealous, you don’t love!” the Tunisian-born couturier told Blanks of the supermodel. “Like me, she is intuitive, stubborn, quick, generous and honest. Naomi is an amazing person; nobody truly understands her. She is much deeper than she first appears. She is quite misunderstood… We don’t have to ask anyone to change. We should respect everyone’s individuality. Maybe we have to change ourselves to co-operate with others. Perhaps we can learn something.”


In the accompanying video, which was filmed after Alaïa's death in his Dover Street Market boutique, Campbell said to Blanks: “He did the things my father, who I never met until I was 41, didn’t do. He took me to the dentist, took me to museums, taught me about art, taught me about food, culture. I don’t think I will ever have that again, I definitely lived a very blessed journey with Azzedine.”

Of living with him in Paris, the Vogue contributing editor added, “Growing up in that house, I had the best wardrobe in the world. When I moved in, my bedroom was on the first floor so I would sneak out through the window to go to clubs, dressed in clothes from the boutique. I’d leave the shop door ajar so that I could get back in, but Azzedine knew the staff at Les Bains Douches and they would always call him so that he could come and collect me. He would find me there, in the middle of the dancefloor, fix my outfit so that it looked how it was supposed to, and then he would drag me back home, no matter how much I protested. He loved to tell those stories, and he always wanted to protect me; he was my Papa.”

No comments:

Post a Comment