Thursday, December 7, 2017

Nike Pro Launches The First Sports Hijab With UAE Ice Skater Zahra Lari

As Nike announces the launch of its first Nike Pro hijab today, Vogue talks to one of the faces of the campaign, Zahra Lari, the first Emirati competitive figure skater. At just 22 years old and the first ever athlete to compete in a hijab and with her sights on the next Winter Olympics, Vogue catches up with Zahra to discuss her involvement in the Nike Pro hijab.


How important is it for you to wear a hijab when you compete?


The hijab is part of who I am, so to me, whether in school, at the gym, on ice or just hanging with friends, I am always wearing it. When I am not wearing it, I feel something is missing . In the skating community, I'm different because I am covered and come from a desert country, but that makes me feel unique, special and empowered.

Were you nervous to compete in a hijab?

Never. When I started skating I’d get deductions for being covered. The judges had never seen covered skaters before but I am now proud to say that today, hijabi women can skate free of fear. No matter what the outcome, I want the world to know that Emirati athletes are strong, confident women who know what we want and we work very hard to accomplish our goals

How did you feel when Nike told you that they were making a hijab for you?


Everyone including myself was so surprised and happy to see such a large company like Nike do something like this to cater specifically to Muslim athletes. It’s like a dream that we [hijabi athletes] never really thought it would happen.

What has been the overriding attitude towards you when you have competed in a hijab?

The positivity has overwhelmed me in the best way possible. My fans, family, friends and everyone around me were extremely excited to see the change. I think the wave of inspiration transcended from the hijabi community to the wider Arab and Muslim communities, which is so amazing! I could see that many Arab and Muslim girls, even if they weren’t necessary covered, felt empowered and inspired.

Did you work with Nike to create the hijab? Are there any special technical requests that you gave them?

I was given the opportunity to test the Nike Pro hijab and provide my feedback throughout the development of the product. I have tried several types of performance hijabs before, but they never worked for me. It was a real challenge. The ideal sports hijab must be light, breathable, and steady. I move very quickly across the ice and can’t be using my hands to adjust anything. The moment I put on the Nike Pro hijab and took it for a spin on the ice, I was completely blown away by the fit and how lightweight it is.

When will you know if you have made the Olympic team?

I am now the first athlete to represent the UAE nationally. This year I made it to the Olympic qualifications for the first time, it was a great experience and I learnt so much and I had received an immense level of support and love from the international community although I didn't qualify. My ultimate goal is to make it to the Olympics, so I am back on training for the next qualifications in four years.

What does it mean to you to represent your country?


When you are motivated, driven and have the support of your family and country, you are unstoppable. I am extremely grateful and take great pride in the fact that I am the first Emirati figure skater in the world. For me, that’s enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment