Monday, October 9, 2017

The Collaboration Manolo Blahnik Couldn't Refuse

For fans of the "high-low" look, Manolo Blahnik's collaboration with Castañer to mark the latter's 90th anniversary hits the nail on the head. Joining Blahnik's signature opulence with the espadrille connoisseurs' traditional Spanish aesthetic, the capsule collection is poised to be on every fashion aficionado’s radar when it drops at Net A Porter, Matches, Harvey Nichols and Browns Fashion in November.


Comprised of two lines - Manolo By Day and Manolo By Night, which each include three models in six different colourways and a stiletto style in lieu of an espadrille's traditional wedge - the collection is one that pleases both parties. For Castañer, it "could not better express our Mediterranean personality, our creative and stylistic richness, and our aspiration to create timeless classics which embody contemporary authenticity and luxury”, according to the family owned brand, while for Blahnik it brings his past into his present - as he told British Vogue exclusively ahead of its launch...


How did the collaboration with Castañer come about?

"It was easy. They contacted my office with a proposal to collaborate for their 90th anniversary. Being Spanish, Castañer is a company that has been there throughout my life and espadrilles are a huge part of Spain’s culture. They were everywhere when I was growing up in the Canary Islands. How could I refuse?"

What are the elements of the designs that are 100 per cent Manolo Blahnik?


"It's a Spanish product and I am a product of Spain - that’s for starters. I wanted to keep the tradition of espadrilles, but give them my touch... the colours, the fabrics, the heel. A bit of whimsy."

What are the defining features of Manolo by Day and Manolo by Night?

"For day, the materials are tougher, like canvas, and are more utilitarian. For night, I've used satin, because I love satin. That little bit of sheen makes it perfect for evening."

What is your earliest memory of the shoe style?


"We had a lady who took care of us when we were young called Maria Soccorro, who I adored. And she always wore espadrilles. I have fond memories of her, so the association is a very good one."


Why do you think collaboration is important to the fashion industry?

"If I like the collaborator, it is always more of a challenge. Sometimes bringing together two names that don’t necessarily gel together at first thought gives the most interesting results."

Is there someone that you would love to work with who you haven’t already

"At the moment, I don’t want to think about it, but if the right designer comes along, then I would be willing to collaborate."

What point are you at in your life: are you scaling back and slowing down, or raring to go?

"I am always raring to go! I can’t stop. Slowing down or scaling it down is never an option with me. It is time that is the enemy. There is never enough time."

What ambitions do you have that you are yet to fulfil?

"I don’t really care about things like that. I am not very ambitious. I consider myself to be very privileged to do what I enjoy doing. If I have one ambition now it is to keep on doing what I do better, and then to spend time with my dogs."

What do you think is the main reason for your ongoing success?


"I stick to what I believe in. I have always done so and will always do so. I don’t compromise, I don’t care about trends, I do what I want."

No comments:

Post a Comment