Thursday, May 25, 2017

Angelica Hicks: Gucci's New Girl

When Gucci's Alessandro Michele tapped illustrator Angelica Hicks to collaborate on a limited-edition T-shirt collection, the artist's dream job landed in her lap. Here, she tells us about her world and working with a fashion-industry great.


Why do you think your style is a good fit for Gucci?

"My style is playful and fun, making fashion accessible to everyone. In my opinion, Gucci encompasses these things."

How did you connect with Alessandro?

"Alessandro and I had been following each other on Instagram for a while when Gucci sent me an email saying that they were interested in optioning the usage rights to a selection of my drawings that had been inspired by the brand."

Did you always want to be an illustrator?

"I never knew that it would be a possibility! I sort of fell into it while I was in my final term at UCL studying history of art. Weighed down with a dissertation to write and exams to study for, I needed some sort of creative release from hours spent in the library and it took the form of illustration. The illustrations then became my main focus. I would wake up maddeningly early and go to sleep very late and spent all of my time not spent in the library, sitting in my room drawing. Needless to say I had developed a true passion. I suppose you could say that I have wanted to be an illustrator ever since I started illustrating."

When do you think you got your big break?

"When designers and notable people started reposting drawings that I had done, namely when Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid both used my drawing to announce their participation in the Victoria’s Secret fashion show. That drawing of mine went kind of viral in a way."

Do you find that your style is evolving, or is it important to stick to your signature style?

"My style has been pretty consistent since a young age. I have always reduced people and things to their graphic linear components. My signature style is just the way I see - it's not something that I consciously replicate in every drawing. I didn’t have any formal artistic training, so I think that's where the childlike quality stems from."

Have you got a favourite project to date?

"Definitely this project!"

Where are you based and why?

"In New York. I moved here after I graduated from university and started my career as an illustrator. I have always been drawn to the idea of living here, and I wanted to challenge myself by lifting myself out of my comfort zone in London."

Do you have any unusual sources of inspiration?

"I find inspiration everywhere. I can be inspired while on the move, while in conversation with friends, while riding the subway - I’m deeply inspired by people and my surroundings, anywhere and everywhere."

The world of fashion illustration has grown exponentially in recent years, are there any other artists whose work you admire?

"Yes, many. I’m a huge fan of Unskilled Worker - both as an artist and as a person, she is hilarious. Julie Houts is also fantastically funny. She has a whimsical style with a humorous stream of social consciousness."

What would your dream commission be?

"This is it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment