Thursday, November 17, 2016

Who Inspired Stella's Debut Menswear Line?

At a star-studded party last night to launch her debut menswear line - alongside a presentation of her spring 2017 womenswear collection - Stella McCartney made her mark (literally, her name glittered in big, bold lettering in every room) on a venue very familiar to her family - Abbey Road Studios. We caught up with the designer ahead of the night to discuss the motivations and inspirations behind her latest venture.


Who or what was the inspiration behind your first menswear collection?

There was so much inspiration behind the collection. I of course looked to the men in my life, my husband, my father, my friends. I also thought of great men of the world, people who have had an impact, like artists and musicians. We really drew inspiration from London as well, in particular it’s musical history; we wanted that feeling and spirit.

What do you love about the way the men in your life wear clothes?

I really admire honesty in wearing clothes, whether it be a man or a woman, and I always notice that quality in the men in my life. But I don’t really feel that as a house we will approach that honesty and that spirit differently for men than we do women. I think the most important thing in wearing clothes is being yourself, being effortless, being true to yourself and not trying to be anyone else for the sake of fashion; not compromising who you are and your beliefs for style. I love that my husband has a more controlled side to how he wears clothes, but then he can also be more casual and sporty, and I find that that way of having a juxtaposition is something that I really use in both my womenswear and my menswear.

What menswear staples do you regularly buy/wear/borrow?

I trained at Saville Row and tailoring is something that has always been in the DNA of our brand.

Why is now the right time for the brand to introduce the category?

I don’t really think there is ever a “right time” to launch anything. It’s something we’d been talking about for a long time and something I really wanted to do, and I felt like as a brand we were ready to take on that challenge. I’m very happy with where we are with the womenswear and I felt like it was time for the Stella woman to have a complement; the Stella man.


Why did you decide to throw a fabulous event rather than show at menswear fashion week?

As a house we really don’t take ourselves too seriously. We’re not approaching this in a conventional manner; we don’t want to do it in the same way as everyone else. We’re starting something new and we wanted to do it in a new way, because this is like nothing we’ve ever done before.

What is your favourite piece in the collection?

I would have to say that my favourite piece is the silk shirt with the two swallows on it. It’s very similar to a shirt that my dad used to own and I absolutely loved when I was growing up. I did the exact blouse in womenswear as well because when I was younger I actually thought it was my mum’s, but when I realised it was my dad’s I felt like I just had to include it in the menswear. It’s a very nostalgic piece for me. I am also very enthusiastic about the non-leather sneakers. They are, of course, a sustainably sourced vegan material, and the shoes have turned out so beautifully. I don’t find that an emphasis on sustainability is evident in men’s fashion, so it was crucial to me to include that in my collection and bring that part of me into the realm of men’s fashion.

How does the menswear marry with your womenswear?

I think the two complement each other very well. I always try to have some humour in my designs, and a versatility in all of the pieces. I want someone of any age and from any walk of life to be able to come to me and find something that suits them, and that is something I strongly believe in for both the menswear and womenswear.


No comments:

Post a Comment