Wednesday, November 2, 2016

London To Host Anna Sui Retrospective

The Fashion and Textiles Museum has announced a major exhibit on the work of Anna Sui. The exhibition, entitled The World of Anna Sui, will open next May, and will be the first-ever retrospective of an American fashion designer to be held in the UK.

"I am completely thrilled," Sui told us ahead of the announcement this morning. "And I am very involved. I worked closely with curator Dennis Nothdruft on deciding which looks from my archive to include and I’m working on a book at the same time. Though not an official catalog of the show, the chapters will be arranged in the same way the mannequins will be grouped in the exhibit by theme."

Describing the mood of the exhibition as "optimistic, inspirational, fun, eclectic, celebratory", Sui is expecting the experience to be an emotional one, especially as her work has never been displayed on such a large scale. Featuring over 100 head-to-toe ensembles spanning in time from outfits worn by the Nineties Supers in her first catwalk show in 1991, to her recent Wild West-themed spring/summer 2017 collection, the exhibition will celebrate Sui's diverse reference points, her pre-occupation with print, and document her creative process. The timing is apt too. The designer has just celebrated a landmark anniversary and is in a reflective mood.


"I just celebrated my 20th anniversary in Japan, so that had gotten me to start thinking about my history. So for my spring/summer 2017 Americana collection, since I was going to have a big exhibition in the UK, I made a conscious effort to celebrate my roots."

"Anna Sui is one of the most important and influential American designers of the past twenty-five years," said Celia Joicey, head of the Fashion and Textile Museum. "We are delighted to be the first museum in the UK to offer a US fashion designer a retrospective exhibition. Sui is an inspirational woman whose designs embrace the history of American pop culture and popular art movements, and thereby offer a fascinating way to explore national identity through fashion and textiles."

The World of Anna Sui is at The Fashion and Textile Museum from May 26th to October 1st 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment