Thursday, September 15, 2016

Zandra Rhodes Creates Archive Collection

Zandra Rhodes has unveiled her archive-inspired exclusive collaboration with MatchesFashion.com today and, as expected, it is as fabulous as the designer herself. Paying homage to 10 of her most famous dresses, which were worn in their heyday by everyone from rock stars to royalty, their 2016 reincarnations offer a luxurious reminder of the women that wore them first.


"The Zandra Archive Collection resonates with our customers as they appreciate Zandra’s importance in fashion history and recognise that these pieces were worn by many iconic women in the past," Natalie Kingham, Matchesfashion.com's buying director told us. Here, the woman herself tells us how the collaboration came about.

How did it feel to revisit your own archive?

I've archived nearly every piece from every collection I've done, I have them around me all the time in my London atelier, they are all like my children in a way. Working with the stylist Grace Woodward on this made looking back at my work feel different, her enthusiasm and modern take inspired me to look again, it didn't feel contrived. We've worked together on the whole collection, people wearing my clothes, bringing their own energy to them has always given a huge amount of inspiration. This is why all the pieces in my collection are named after women who have been pivotal to my career - Princess Diana, Diana Ross, Diana Vreeland - who made me in a way. There are so many amazing women imbued in my work.


Is this something you’ve wanted to do for some time?

I've talked about it a few times with some great people but it just never felt progressive before as it does now. I have exactly the right team in place to do it to our best ability, this - partnered with Matchesfashion.com and their digital trunk shows - has allowed me to do the bits I love best about my work and allows me to work at a pace that is respectful to my atelier, my craft and the environment.

Why did now feel like the right time to recreate?

Even though I print in a very traditional way, I feel technology makes the whole thing feel different. For me it feels fresher, not just doing the same old, selling the same clothes in the same way. The Bohemian vibe seems to be the look that's now established as beyond a micro trend and I just kept seeing things that reminded me of my work everywhere. Because I translate my creativity through print, ultimately clothes are my canvas. I've always wanted people to think they were buying into a piece of wearable art. Now, I see my pieces at auction or on specific collectors sites like 1stDibs, as with art I felt like doing editions were right for my work specifically.


Which archive piece is your favourite?

It wasn't easy to choose just the 10, there's enough for quite a few of these collections if I'm honest. One of my favourite prints though is Star Wars, which features on the skirt of the Frida Dress, with a Mexican collection circular print on the top. I think mixing my prints and how they are placed on the body is what makes my work uniquely mine. The Diana Dress is very special as it's such a limited edition. There has only been one before now, as it was a collaboration with the Princess and myself, that one is on permanent display at Kensington Palace in the Style Rules Redefined exhibition. We've altered the shade of cherry-blossom pink slightly in respect for the original, but it feels meaningful to be able to not only celebrate such a great woman but an amazing time in my career.

What is your personal favourite fashion era?

As a designer, I look backwards and forwards for inspiration. My aim is always to create something that is unique to my signature, I've designed what myself and my muses want to wear at that time. As a creative, I read everything that's going on and translate it in the only way I know how, being Zandra Rhodes! I can't really choose, that's like saying what's your favourite record or piece of art, so many amazing things happened to me in the decades we cover in the Archive Collection. All my favourite things are covered in there.


The Summer DressWhite silk-chiffon, originally made in 1977 and worn by Donna Summer for her Once Upon A Time video in 1977.


The Frilly Circle DressWhite silk-chiffon, originally from 1984, shot by Barry Lategan for Vogue in 1974.


The Cleveland DressSunray pleated gold lamé, originally from 1977, and worn by Pat Cleveland to Studio 54 in 1977.


The Knitted Circle DressBlack silk-chiffon, originally from 1969, and worn by Natalie Wood in Vogue in 1970.


The Manhattan DressBlack silk-chiffon.


The Manhattan DressRed silk-chiffon.


The Grace DressBlack silk-chiffon, worn by Grace Coddington when shot by Guy Bourdin for Vogue in 1971.


The Grace DressBlack silk-chiffon, worn by Grace Coddington when shot by Guy Bourdin for Vogue in 1971.


The Frida DressDusky-pink silk-chiffon, originally from 1976.


The Diana DressCherry-blossom silk-chiffon, worn by Princess Diana on her tour of Japan in 1986.

No comments:

Post a Comment