Friday, September 9, 2016

Charlotte Olympia Teams Up With Barbie

As Charlotte Olympia unveils her collaboration with Barbie, we catch up with the designer to preview the capsule accessories collection and to hear about why it was a match made in heaven.

What is your first memory of Barbie?

I have always loved collecting Barbie and enjoyed styling her and making clothes for her as a young girl.

What do you think you and Barbie have in common?

Charlotte Olympia and Barbie are both feminine, playful and love to accessorise.

You’ve done a few collaborations now, what do you look for in a collaborative partner?

The best collaborations are when both brands share similar sensibilities.


What signature Charlotte Olympia elements did you want to bring to the collaboration?

The essence of my brand comes from my love of a bygone era. I love the Forties and Fifties and it was important for me to capture this aesthetic in the collaboration. The development process was fantastic, and every detail was wonderfully executed - including the doll’s hairstyle and red mani/pedi! It was very special to see perfect replicas of my signature shoes and accessories in miniature form, as well as the brand's mascot, Bruce the leopard.

What drew you to this particular collaboration?

I love the original 1959 doll which was the starting point for me, adding signature Charlotte Olympia styling which felt really natural, given that I love to celebrate that era. It was a privilege to work with this icon.

What are your favourite pieces from the capsule collection?

Within the capsule collection, I especially love the Barbie World clutch box, reminiscent of an old Hollywood dressing table.

How would you describe the Charlotte Olympia/Barbie collaboration in three words?

Dream come true!

The Charlotte Olympia capsule collection with Barbie will be available to buy from September 6 in stores and online.

No comments:

Post a Comment